On our way to visit the Little Brown Church, we stopped at the Bremer County Courthouse in Waverly, Iowa. Built 1936-37, the building features Depression Modern architecture, and was funded in part by the Public Works Administration.
Bremer County was established in 1853, and its first courthouse was a small frame building, which cost $147.50 to build. This was replaced in 1858 by a two-story 43x63-foot brick building, which cost $23,000. All of the material used in its construction--brick, stone, and lumber--was produced in the county. The current structure cost $139,000; over $60,000 of this was supplied by the PWA grant.