Winterset City Park

Saturday, June 20, 2015

We visited the Winterset City Park to see the Cutler-Donahoe covered bridge.  This bridge was built in 1870, and was originally located 18 miles northeast of Winterset.  It was moved to the park in 1970.  
A plaque near the bridge says it was designed and built by Eli Cox.  It's 79 feet long and weighs 40 tons.  Bridges were often named after people who lived near them.  Since both the Cutler and Donahoe families claimed naming rights, this bridge was named after both.  The man who was commissioned to move the bridge, Clair Rogers, gave his time to rebuild the west third of the bridge and re-roof it.
The Winterset area was bustling with people on Memorial Day weekend.  Various ones had their pictures taken on the bridge.  We noticed runners along the roads--and they looked pretty tired!  The ladies with refreshments told us that a 100-mile ultra-marathon was ongoing (The 2015 Booneville Backroads Ultra). 
This stone bridge caught our attention.  We crossed it, and I took some photos.

We went through the hedge maze and found the sundial inside, and then I walked up to the structure shown below to take photos of the maze.  The shelter is a place where I'd imagine weddings and family reunions are held.  
Next, we started on our hike to Clark Tower.  I had read in an online review that it was quite the walk, but I didn't take the reviewer as seriously as I should have, figuring he/she must just not have been very fond of walking.  We walked a short way, and then started to wonder how far away Clark Tower really was, so we asked a girl jogging past us.  She said we had about a beautiful 20 minute walk still ahead of us!  The reviewer was not exaggerating after all! 

I had brought my tennis shoes with me, but they were in the car...so I was walking in leather boots with 2-inch heels.  I usually love them since they're great for almost everything: walking in the rain, winter, spring, long grass, mud, snow, etc., and I even wear them to concerts.  The only things they're not great for?  Hiking and jogging.  But...we made it!
 The walk was beautiful, and at the end of our trail we spotted Clark Tower, erected in memory of pioneers Caleb and Ruth Clark (1846-1926).  After going up the stairs to the second level, we climbed a ladder to the top.
From there, we enjoyed a beautiful view.  There were several people at and around the tower, and I don't think I've ever seen such a large percentage of the population in any place armed with fancy DSLR-type cameras!  They were everywhere.  I asked one fellow red-head if she posted her photos anywhere (i.e. was a blogger or something...), but no luck.  Could bloggers please start wearing name tags: "Hello, I'm a blogger"?

We made it back from Clark Tower to find a group of motorcyclists parked in front of the covered bridge taking pictures. The lady I'm standing with said they were from South Carolina.  After visiting the park, we headed to our friend's graduation open house for delicious walking tacos, brownies, and ice cream.  

Linking with next week's:

64 comments:

  1. I'm such a sucker for covered bridges! It sounds like your weekend was quite full :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We tried to fit in as many stops at interesting places as we could!

      Delete
  2. what a gorgeous area! love the covered bridge that was saved and the neat stone walls. hoping you'll link in next thursday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's in my plans--now I'm just hoping I don't forget! Thanks for hosting Good Fences!

      Delete
  3. It sounds like you're having a fun weekend. I've always loved bridges and that's a really great view from the top of that tower... Blessings... :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful place to visit! I love the covered bridge and the tower. I like the blogger name tag idea. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now I just need to be brave enough to start wearing one...ahh, but that might make me look conspicuous, not that I care... ;)

      Delete
  5. As you may know, I love covered bridges and I've already been to quite a few in Oregon. Love yours and the wonderful stone tower too! Beautiful area Bethany!
    Blessings, Aimee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Neat that you've been able to visit some of the Oregon covered bridges!

      Delete
  6. What an interesting place to explore, covered bridges a hedge maze and more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting is right; it was a fun place to see.

      Delete
  7. Oooh, what a beautiful and fascinating place to visit. I love covered bridges....there is something romantic and charming about them :)

    Wishing you a wonderful week, Bethany!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Judging from all the "so-and-so loves so-and-so" graffiti on the bridges, a lot of people must consider them romantic. I think my sister even spotted a marriage proposal amid all the signatures. I don't like graffiti, but apparently the bridges have become a sort of guest book themselves, so it was interesting to read where people had come from and see the dates.

      Delete
  8. That's a GREAT place to preserve it, and then people can take their time wandering in and looking around.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is great that Madison County is trying to take good care of it. Another of the bridges (Cedar Bridge) was destroyed by an arsonist in 2002, but a replacement covered bridge has since been built.

      Delete
  9. Hi Bethany,
    What a wonderful place to visit.
    The view is amazing.
    Best regards, Irma

    ReplyDelete
  10. Bethany, the park is very nice. In Poland and Europe covered bridges are not popular . I have never met covered bridges in Europe. And I have answered for your questions.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello Bethany, I love the covered bridge and the stone tower. Looks like a beautiful view and place to visit. You look cute in the photos too. Have a happy day and new week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  12. WOW, what a special place! Tom The Backroads Traveller

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't been in southeastern Iowa much. I enjoyed what I saw of it on our trip.

      Delete
  13. Hedge mazes, mid-evil looking towers and awesome bridges...maybe I need to move near you! Hiking in heeled leather boots isn't very attractive though. Were your feet sore? I once hiked a mile barefoot, (hadn't planned on hiking so was not in good shoes!), and was surprised to see how well my feet held up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, please do move up here! We'd make a fun team scouting for blogging material! Yes, my feet were sore! But I survived. ;) It's amazing how tough some people's feet get when they walk barefoot frequently.

      Delete
  14. Hi Bethany, Right off the bat I like the way the Cutlers and Donahoes settled the issue of how to name the bridge! :-) I am really enjoying your curiosity about history ... I'm learning a lot about Iowa and the history of that part of our country. You mentioned the sundial in the hedge maze ... was it really cool? I love sundials! I had to smile when you mentioned asking the lady if she put her travel photos online. I do that too! Rarely do I get an affirmative answer. Your idea about having bloggers wear a badge is great! Another great post here. Now, thank you for your exceptionally thoughtful comments on my blog. I would love to see some of those calendars your grandma designed for the Chicago Central and Pacific Railroad. That is a neat story about her request for a caboose payment! Thanks for all and have a great week ahead! PS I am at work on the Liebster post : - )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, well, the sundial to me was pretty much like an ordinary sundial...nice but not noticeably extra special.
      Here is the link to the painting that was Grandma's 1993 calendar cover for the railroad.
      This is the 1992 cover painting.
      And here's 1996

      Neat that you ask others if they are bloggers as well. Looking forward to your answers for the award!

      Delete
  15. Gorgeous area and wonderful outing. Everything looks so green and lush! Have you had a lot of rain? Your photos are so beautiful. And that last one is really nice. I laughed with that motorcyclist in the back waving. Photobomb!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that was fun to see when I looked through the pictures! We have had a good amount of rain; it's not too much though thankfully. It's just about right.

      Delete
  16. I loved every bit of this! Beautiful pictures, great history!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful photos! I especially love the tower and covered bridge.

    ReplyDelete
  18. LOVE seeing the covered bridge. Not something I get to see very often. Crossed one many years ago. They are truly a treasure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think this trip may have been the first time I had the chance to see any covered bridges in person.

      Delete
  19. Beautiful photos, Bethany, and you look lovely! :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I never saw a covered bridge in real life. I only saw one in the movie Beetlejuice. I found out that covered bridges were created to preserve the bridges from the weather and so that cattle wouldn't get spooked by running water when crossing.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I LOVE this wonderful park! What amazing scenery! And the tower is amazing...well worth the hike, though we wouldn't be able to make it that far anymore (we can hardly walk a mile! :( ) Anyway, loved the covered bridge and the maze. What a truly great place, with such interesting history. I am so happy you shared this!

    ReplyDelete
  22. love that covered bridge and tower!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love all the stone work...love that stone bridge especially. This looks like a great place to visit.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh my- I'm still looking at the covered bridge..so pretty! I like the stonework also- looks like you had a fabulous outing!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Love the covered bridge, the bikers, the lovely stone walls and toTower.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I like the covered bridge...I love the stone bridge and tower!
    ~

    ReplyDelete
  27. What a wonderful place you visited. The covered bridge alone would be worth visiting but then that cool tower and the great views just made it even more special. I enjoyed all of your photos of this visit.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Beautiful scenery. I love that view from the top!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whenever my family and I visit or walk near high structures, we usually scheme about finding ways to get to the top! It's unfortunate so many places have their steeples and lookouts closed to the public. I did love the view from up there.

      Delete
  29. Love the covered bridge images and the awesome shot of that tower.

    ReplyDelete
  30. What a lovely outing, Bethany! I love covered bridges.
    Your photos are lovely and they show so much greenery, I am overjoyed by it.
    Have a Wonderful Day!
    Peace :)

    ReplyDelete
  31. Beautiful photos Bethany, I love how the place is full of trees very full of life, the tower has a nice medieval look and that stone bridge could tell a lot of stories. Hope you are having a lovely day.

    Blessings,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. God bless you too, Laura! Have a beautiful week!

      Delete
  32. I never appreciated covered bridges when I was young. We don't have any here in South Florida. Thanks for bring me a memory.

    ReplyDelete

DESIGNED BY ECLAIR DESIGNS